Comprehensive Pediatric Spine Center
We are the only children’s hospital in the state with a collaborative neurosurgical and orthopedic Comprehensive Pediatric Spine Center. This positions us as leaders in the diagnosis and treatment of all types of pediatric spine issues and deformities. This combination of multidisciplinary expertise plus cutting-edge technology allows us to provide truly customized care for your child’s condition at each stage of growth.
Open for Care: Orthopaedics & Sports Medicine
Our experts use state-of-the-art technology to focus on rapid diagnosis, treatment and fast healing for complex spinal disorders including scoliosis and other spinal deformities as well as the diverse and complex spinal issues including trauma, tumors, vascular malformations, congenital abnormalities. Additionally, we offer both surgical and non-surgical treatments.
We also are heavily invested in the aftercare of our patients and are proud to offer the largest pediatric rehabilitation program in Arizona and the only pediatric acute inpatient rehabilitation center in the state as well – all perfect for our recovering spine patients.
When it comes to spine care, there is a lot of information out there urging you to choose a neurosurgeon/neurologist OR an orthopedic surgeon. At Phoenix Children’s, you don’t have to choose. Our Comprehensive Pediatric Spine Center offers bothfor consults as well as working together in the operating room…at the same time! This unique, team-based approach has a number of key clinical benefits:
- Two surgeons
- Less blood loss
- Shorter post-surgery hospital stay
- EQUALS better outcomes
In addition to Barrow Neurological Institute at Phoenix Children’s Neurosurgeons and Herbert J. Louis Center for Pediatric Orthopedics at Phoenix Children’s Orthopedic Surgeons, our Comprehensive Pediatric Spine Center also includes other specialists:
- Neuroradiologists - diagnose disorders of the brain, skull and spine
- Radiologists - specialize in using imaging technologies such as our low radiation dose EOS X-ray, to assess disease and deliver targeted treatments
- Anesthesiologists - trained to minimize pain and anxiety in children undergoing medical procedures
- Physiatrists from Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation Department - focused on continuity of care and longitudinal follow-up, with a goal to maximize functional potential while minimizing secondary complications
- Therapists- Occupational and physical therapists who work to maximize and restore function, strength, and mobility.
Each and every member of our team is committed to our collaborative approach to care to ensure the best possible outcome for every child we treat.
Most of our spine patients are referred to us by primary care providers or because of sports physicals, abnormal findings, back pain, or new neurological symptoms of pain or weakness. However, we welcome all new patients — no referral is needed to make an appointment to meet with our specialists.
Our pediatric neurosurgical and orthopedic surgeons are members of the Level 1 Pediatric Trauma Team. This means they are specially trained and ready to offer immediate crisis care to children and teens with serious musculoskeletal injuries.
Conditions We Treat
Learn more about the conditions our Comprehensive Pediatric Spine team treats.