Programs & Services
Critical Care, Pediatric Intensive Care Unit (PICU)
Our PICU cares for children who require intense attention for a full spectrum of medical and surgical illness. We also provide intensive care services for our Centers of Excellence, including:
- Barrow Neurological Institute at Phoenix Children's
- Center for Cancer and Blood Disorders
- Herbert J. Louis Center for Pediatric Orthopedics
- Pediatric Trauma Center
Children in the PICU are also cared for by critical care nurse practitioners, pediatric critical care medicine fellows and residents, respiratory therapists, social workers, Child Life specialists and dieticians.
Patients are divided among three teams:
- The Six East Medical Team (MED)
- The Neurology, Neurosurgery, Surgery, Trauma Team (NSST)
- The Six West Medical Team (WICU)
Morning medical rounds start at approximately 8 a.m. Patients’ family members and loved ones are encouraged to be available for morning medical rounds and are welcome to listen in and ask questions. Evening medical rounds start at approximately 8:30 p.m.