Programs & Services
Our Epilepsy Program is thoroughly active in all aspects of epilepsy care. Phoenix Children's brings in top clinical talent, uses innovative technology and customizes patient plans based on the latest developments in epilepsy. This collaborative program includes epileptologists, neurologists, neurosurgeons, pediatric psychologists, neuropsychologists and psychiatrists, all contributing to the well-rounded care needed to achieve the best results.
The areas that set us apart as an exceptional team of epilepsy specialists include:
- Pediatric Epilepsy Monitoring Unit: This is a specialized unit for children with all types of events believed to be seizures. Each patient's room is outfitted with video equipment to capture seizure activity while the child's brainwaves are recorded. The feedback received during an actual seizure leads to a more accurate diagnosis.
- Diagnosis and treatment research: We help make new drug therapies available to children by participating in drug development trials. Researchers are also using state-of-the-art methods to diagnose seizures in the intensive care units. Plus, we actively evaluate the impact of surgery on seizure frequency, neuropsychological functioning and quality of life.
- Education programs: We train medical students, residents, fellows and practicing physicians to provide the highest possible standard of care. The Epilepsy Program also partners with Arizona State University to measure knowledge about epilepsy among schoolteachers, as well as their confidence levels as they teach students with epilepsy. Researchers hope to use this information to develop ways to enhance teachers' knowledge and to bolster their confidence in reaching out to children who have seizures.
Diagnostic & Treatment Options
Our expert team works together with each patient's unique needs to diagnose, treat and cure epilepsy in children.
Ask us about diagnostic and treatment options, which include the following:
- Anti-epileptic medications
- Ketogenic diet
- Vagus nerve stimulation (VNS)
- Responsive Neurostimulation (RNS)
- Possible enrollment into clinical drug trials