Psychology Doctoral Internship
There are two psychology internship openings for the training year. We offer two tracks: one in Pediatric Psychology with an emphasis on consultation/liaison, and the other in Pediatric Neuropsychology. Both interns will receive training in assessment, consultation/liaison work and outpatient therapy.
The psychology internship begins the first week of July and ends the first week of July the following year.
We will review the completed application and all materials. This includes assessing how well our program meets your needs and how your background and experience fit with our program.
By December 15, you will receive an email:
- requesting you contact us to schedule an interview
- or informing you that you are no longer under consideration
On-site interviews are strongly preferred; however, telephone interviews can be arranged in very unusual circumstances. The on-site interview will consist of meeting with our staff individually or in small groups. Applicants will also have the opportunity to meet with current interns, resident, and practicum students. Telephone interviews will provide the opportunity to speak with at least two of our staff members. Applicants will also tour one of the largest children’s hospitals in the nation. Lunch is provided.
To qualify, applicants should:
- Have completed at least four years of graduate school in psychology
- Have three years post-bachelor, supervised clinical experience
- Have two years post-bachelor supervised experience with children, adolescents and families
- By the start of the internship, have completed all doctoral coursework and all qualifying and comprehensive exams
- Have passed the proposal stage for doctoral dissertation
- Those applying to the Pediatric Psychology Track should have completed a minimum of 400 hours of supervised clinical experience, which includes practice in child, adolescent, and family therapy. At least 100 hours should involve psychological assessment and testing. For those applying to the Pediatric Neuropsychology Track, preference will be given to those who have completed 250 hours of therapy experience, which includes practice in child, adolescent, and family therapy, and at least 400 hours of assessment experience.
Applicants must come from APA-accredited programs. Selection criteria include many other areas.
Applicants are evaluated for:
- Their interests and goals appropriate to our internship program
- Emotional maturity and stability
- Appropriate interpersonal skills
- Skill in translating theory into integrated practice
- A sound theoretical and academic foundation for effective clinical work
- Demonstrated sensitivity to and commitment to working with multicultural and diversity issues.
We may call some of your references for additional information during December, January and February.
Background Check/ Drug Screen
Phoenix Children’s Hospital requires successful completion of a standard background check, a 12-panel drug screen (including marijuana) and TB Test as part of the new hire onboarding.
Criminal or other concerning history identified in a background check will be reviewed by the Training Committee, the Graduate Medical Education Committee and, if applicable, PCH Compliance, on a case-by-case basis to determine if there are mitigating factors that warrant proceeding with the onboarding process. PCH follows all applicable federal and state laws, including the federal Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) in conducting any background screening.”
Final Decision Making
Each applicant's strengths and weaknesses will be considered to determine if the internship at Phoenix Children’s is a good match. Applicants should consider if our hospital is a good fit for their training needs and professional direction. Consider talking with your advisor for help in the process.
We are hopeful that everyone we interviewed will be placed in the setting they want, and we are excited to find out who our interns are for the training year.
We will contact our matched applicants by telephone after the noon (EST) deadline on Match Day, in accordance with APPIC Guidelines. Within 72 hours, we will send matched applicants confirmation of their appointments.